The ruins of St. Paul are one of Macau’s most famous landmarks. This 16th-century complex consisted of originally the St. Paul’s College and the Cathedral of St. Paul, a Portuguese cathedral dedicated to Saint Paul the Apostle.
It was built by the Jesuits from 1582 to 1602 and was one of the largest Catholic churches in Asia at the time. In 1835 it was finally destroyed beyond repair by a fire during a typhoon.
At the present time the ruins consists of the southern stone façade which has intricate carvings including Jesuit images with Oriental themes. The façade resides on a small hill with 66 stone steps leading up to it. Nowadays the façade is buttressed from behind with concrete and steel making it possible for tourists to climb up the steel stairway for a closer look at the carvings.
At the bottom of the ruins the Museum of Sacred Art and Crypt was built with numerous religious artifacts on display. This museum is open everyday and admission is free.
To get to the Ruins of St. Paul simply take a taxi or the following busses: 2, 5, 10, 18, 19, 26A.
Find Ruins of St. Paul on Google Maps